BUENA VISTA, Va. Methodist University women’s soccer traveled to Southern Virginia University on Saturday, September 23, to start USA South Athletic Conference action, in which the Monarchs hold a 23-0-1 record over their last 24 regular season conference contests. In wet and rainy conditions, the Knight handed Methodist its first conference lost, 1-0, since the final regular season game of the 2019.
JUST THE FACTS
Final score: Southern Virginia def. Methodist, 1-0
Records: Methodist 4-4-0 (0-1 USA South), Southern Virginia 2-4-1 (1-0)
Location: Knight Stadium; Buena Vista, Virginia
HOW IT HAPPENED
- In the 14th minutes of the match, Makinna Winterton tallied the only score for Southern Virginia. Her recorded her goal after receiving a pass from Paige Varvarigos.
- This was the first time the Monarchs fell to the Knights in program history, were 3-0 prior.
- Methodist offense was held in check by Southern Virginia’s defense during the second half as the Knights did not allow the Monarchs to register a shot. This was after the Methodist had a seven to six shot advantage following the first 45 minutes.
- Of the seven Monarch shots taken, freshman Yaneli Sanchez took five with one being on target.
- Carolina Simpkins had a game-high five saves while in net for Methodist.
Methodist will have a week off from games before hosting Salem College next Saturday, September 30. This USA South contest between the Monarchs and the Spirits is scheduled for 2 p.m.