Tag: Australian selection chair

  • Supreme white-ball form won’t help Warner’s cloudy Test future

    Supreme white-ball form won’t help Warner’s cloudy Test future

    David Warner’s commanding World Cup form is unlikely to have any bearing on whether he gets the green light from selectors to play what he hopes will be a farewell Test series against Pakistan this summer.

    Meanwhile Australian selection chair George Bailey says Travis Head is a lock to return to the top of the order when available again – which could be as soon as Wednesday’s game against the Netherlands in Delhi – meaning a rejig of the Australian top order looms large for the back half of the World Cup.

    Back-to-back wins over Sri Lanka and Pakistan, combined with other results, has catapulted Australia into the top four on the World Cup table and with reason for further optimism given Head has arrived in India as he prepares to play again after breaking his hand in South Africa last month.

    The match against the Dutch is a live chance for Head’s comeback, with the following game against New Zealand in Dharamsala next Saturday also an option.

    “I don’t know how realistic it is,” Bailey said of Head’s chances of playing against the Netherlands.

    “It can be a six to eight-week injury. He’s ticked all the boxes in terms of, you know, the four-week scan and the bone has healed and so that’s all going well and I guess he’s progressed really well through the week.

    “It’s always nicer when you get eyes on it yourself. So he’ll come in with a fair bit of enthusiasm, I reckon, and the boys would be very excited to have him but clearly the whole point of having him and carrying him to this point is not to then risk it by bringing back early. So yeah, if it works out that it’s Dutch game, great. If it’s a little bit further on, then that’s OK.”

    If Head plays against the Netherlands, he will be breaking up the pairing of Warner and Mitch Marsh that on Friday posted an Australian men’s World Cup-best first-wicket partnership of 259 in the win over Pakistan.

    But Head’s importance means Marsh is likely to drop down the order and jeopardise Marnus Labuschagne’s spot in the XI.

    “Clearly (Head) comes in at the top,” Bailey said.

    “He’s been fantastic there for us and that’s where he’ll slot in. And then (from there) think we’ll just work out when it is, who you’re playing, surface, what you might need and we’ll work through it.”

    With 21 one-day centuries, Warner has cemented himself as a great of the format and an automatic pick for the remainder of the World Cup, issuing a reminder of his quality with 163 in Bangalore on Friday.

    But there has been less certainty about his Test spot after a middling Ashes series in England and a three-year run in which he is averaging 28.9 with the bat in the longest format, with just one century.

    Warner wants to play the three-Test series against Pakistan starting in mid-December as swan song in the baggy green, but Bailey said one-form would not hold much sway when Aussie selectors picked the Test squad.

    “Not specific to Dave, but I think we’ve always said we try and separate out the formats,” Bailey said.

    Source link

  • ‘He’s really important to us’: Aussies sweat on Head’s return

    ‘He’s really important to us’: Aussies sweat on Head’s return

    Australian selection chair George Bailey has refused to put a public deadline on a return date for Travis Head while leaving the door ajar for Ashton Agar to come back into the World Cup squad should another player suffer an injury.

    Bailey has meanwhile suggested the Aussies may look to protect Glenn Maxwell in the field during the tournament, mindful of his dual importance to the side as a game-changing middle order batter and “frontline” spin option.

    Cricket Australia on Thursday confirmed the 11th hour call to omit Agar from its 15-man squad for the World Cup in India – which begins next week – with the left-arm spinner making way for Marnus Labuschagne.

    Both Agar (calf) and Head (broken hand) would have been unable for the start of the event with selectors prioritising Head after being unwilling to take two injured players into the tournament.

    The South Australian opener remains in Adelaide rehabilitating after suffering the injury during the recent series against South Africa.

    Selectors are banking on Head becoming available at around the midway point of the seven-week tournament but Bailey was unwilling to specify a particular game or date by which the left-hander would need to be available before plans for him to return would be abandoned.

    “We are aware of the risks that if there is a setback at some point it makes it really challenging for Trav, but he’s a really important player for us,” Bailey said from India on Friday.

    “First and foremost it’s about him recovering and that’s the hurdle that he’s got to overcome. He’s got a broken bone. So there’s not a specific date or a game.

    “I don’t think we’ve put a time frame on it from that point of view

    “When he does come online whenever that is and he’s available, he can he can have a really important impact for us towards the end of the tour.”

    Bailey said the decision to leave Agar out had come late, and acknowledged the disappointment of the white-ball specialist, who also departed early from a Test tour of India in February.

    “We wanted as much information as we could on Ash and the rest of the squad, just weighing up the risk, clearly we’ve prioritised retaining Travis with his injury and hoping that he comes online, unfortunately for Ash we couldn’t see a way through where we could carry two players with injuries so he was the unfortunate one to miss out,” Bailey said.

    “Hopefully he can put together a really good rehab now, over a number of weeks. If there is an opportunity through unfortunately someone else getting injured later in the piece, there’s a chance he could re-emerge there.”

    Having overcome a leg injury that forced him home early from South Africa, Maxwell returned in Wednesday night’s third one-day international against India in Rajkot, taking 4-40 as the Aussies snapped a five-match losing run.

    Maxwell broke his leg in a freak accident late last year and has played little international cricket since, with Bailey acknowledging that Australia would need to manage his workload.

    “Glenn’s been so dynamic across his one-day career, not only, his ability with the bat and ball, but even just the positions he puts himself in the field. So there’s been a high workload,” Bailey said.

    “He doesn’t necessarily have to go to the hotspots or he might have some games where we can try and find some quiet spots for him in the field.”

    But Bailey was adamant that the Victorian, who averages 47.71 with the ball in ODIs, was capable of playing the No. 2 spinner role behind Adam Zampa after Agar’s removal left the Aussies’ tweaker stocks depleted.

    “I’m not sure it’s fair on Maxi to say he’s not a specialist spinner. I think his white-ball one-day and T20 spinning record is pretty handy. And I think we can very much consider him a frontline option. So we consider that we’ve got two frontline spinners within our first-choice XI.”

    Source link