Tag: Babar Azam

  • After Ramiz Raja, Pakistan head coach Saqlain Mushtaq might step down from his role

    After Ramiz Raja, Pakistan head coach Saqlain Mushtaq might step down from his role

    Get every cricket updates! Follow us on

    Pakistan cricket is expected to undergo a transformation after their recent 0-3 humiliation at home against England in the Test series. Former middle-order batter Ramiz Raja has been reportedly sacked as the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) chairman and Najam Sethi has taken over the reins from him.

    Meanwhile, it has also been reported that the current Pakistan head coach Saqlain Mushtaq might step down from his role and even Babar Azam will be axed from Test captaincy.

    The report further states that Saqlain is expected to leave after the conclusion of the upcoming home Test series against New Zealand starting Monday, December 26.

    A high-level meeting was held in the office of the PCB chairman Ramiz Raja: PCB Source

    “A high-level meeting was held in the office of the PCB chairman Ramiz Raja at the Gaddafi Stadium in which chief selector, Mohammad Wasim also participated,” according to a source quoted as saying by NDTV.

    “Every aspect of the team, selection matters, the captaincy and Saqlain’s role were discussed threadbare in the nearly three-hour-long meeting,” the source added.

    Furthermore, the source added that while Babar Azam would continue to lead Pakistan in limited overs, he would be removed from Test captaincy in July of next year.

    “A lot of discussion has been held on Babar’s future as Test captain and it was decided to maintain status quo for now.” 

    “But what is decided is that, in July Babar will be changed as Test captain,” the source said.

    Under Babar Azam, Pakistan have suffered two successive home Test series defeats this year and have lost four of their last home matches. Prior to this 0-3 drubbing, Pakistan had lost 0-1 to Australia in a three-match Test series earlier this year.

    Nonetheless, Babar has taken Pakistan cricket to newer heights in white-ball cricket. He had led them to the semis of the last year’s T20 World Cup and the finals of this year’s Asia Cup and the T20 World Cup where they faltered at the final hurdle against Sri Lanka and England respectively.

     

    Source link

  • ‘There will always be questions, you can’t please everyone’ – Babar Azam lashes out at journalist after Ramiz Raja’s remark

    ‘There will always be questions, you can’t please everyone’ – Babar Azam lashes out at journalist after Ramiz Raja’s remark

    Get every cricket updates! Follow us on

    Babar Azam’s Pakistan became the latest team to be blown away by England’s swashbuckling red-ball side after the visitors completed a historic whitewash in the three-match Test series on Tuesday, December 20. When the Pakistani skipper was asked about PCB chief Ramiz Raja’s remark about drafting T20 players in the Test squad, Babar retaliated with a stern reply.

    PCB chief Ramiz Raja, during a chat with former England skipper Michael Atherton, suggested the Pakistani skipper follow the blueprint laid out by England, by selecting white-ball specialists for the longest format of the game. He remarked that the future generation of cricketers in the country are more attracted to the shorter formats and wants them to think of Test cricket as the same.

    “Like England for example, I suggested to Babar that England are playing the T20 format in a five-day version, so you better pick T20 players here. It’s a forced mindset on Pakistan, which I absolutely like. I want the future generation to think of it as a T20 format, like England are playing,” Ramiz said to Sky Cricket during the Multan Test.

    It takes time for the mindset to change: Babar Azam

    Following an embarrassing series whitewash at home, a first in their Test cricket history, Babar Azam was not in a pleasant mood and when asked about the PCB chief’s suggestion of including T20 players, he gave a stern response to the journalist. Babar quirked that things cannot change overnight, especially the mindset of the players. He also stated that even if they start playing aggressive cricket, questions will still remain as it is hard to please everyone.

    “The door is not shut for anyone. There is a set plan for everything and we have it for every format. You can’t change things in a day or week. It takes time. For mindset to change, it takes time. Then, if we start playing defensively, journalists will ask why we don’t play aggressively and when we play aggressively, they ask why we don’t play the other way. There will always be questions, you can’t please everyone. Ultimately what matters is results. If results don’t come then questions will be raised no matter what we do,” he said in the post-match presser.

    Source link

  • Pakistan fans troll Babar Azam with ‘ZimBabar’ chants after his poor performance in second innings at Multan

    Pakistan fans troll Babar Azam with ‘ZimBabar’ chants after his poor performance in second innings at Multan

    Get every cricket updates! Follow us on

    Even after a gritty knock of 75 runs in the first innings of the Test match, the Pakistan skipper was brutally trolled after he failed to deliver a good performance in the second innings of the second Test against England at Multan.

    Chasing a target of 355 runs, the 28-year-old was completely outfoxed by Ollie Robinson when he was batting at 1. While returning back to the dressing room after a rare failure, Babar was greeted with ‘ZimBabar’ chants from one section of the fans.

    The crowd seemed to boo him as they expected another masterclass from the cricketer to eventually help Pakistan settle the score in the ongoing Test series. The reaction from a section of crowd has also attracted a lot of criticism with Pakistan cricketers coming out in support of their skipper.

    England defeated Pakistan by 26 runs to win the second Test and the historic series

    Even after a terrific fightback from Pakistan in the fourth innings, Babar Azam and company fell 26 runs short to make a comeback in the series. Saud Shakeel (94) and Imam-ul-Haq (60) played some brilliant cricket but soon after their dismissal, their tail-end was exposed as none of them could help Pakistan take the game home. Mohammad Nawaz (45) tried to restore the momentum, but the English bowlers absolutely dominated the second half of the day and won the match and the series.

    Speedster Mark Wood picked up four wickets while James Anderson and Ollie Robinson picked up two each. Courtesy of his impactful century in the second innings, middle-order batter Harry Brook was adjudged the Player of the Match.

    English skipper Ben Stokes was elated with the historic series win as the English players travelled to Pakistan for a Test series after 17 long years. Lauding his bowlers, Stokes assessed the positives for them from the match.

    “Obviously different conditions and differently played games but fantastic to be a part of both the games. We had a look at the wicket and it was tricky against slow bowling, but as the game progressed the cracks opened up and our seamers came into the game. The way in which Jimmy and Robbo bowled in the series and our spinners as well, they are going to deliver more often that not (referring to him not bowling),” said the 31-year-old.



    Source link