Tag: conservative country

  • ‘Many will die’: Outrage over $1 trillion World Cup ‘vote’ as two strange tournaments locked in

    ‘Many will die’: Outrage over $1 trillion World Cup ‘vote’ as two strange tournaments locked in

    The vote for 2034 World Cup hosting rights has descended into farce with claims a $1 trillion “atrocity” is about to be made official.

    Watch every ball of Australia v India LIVE & ad-break free during play in 4K on Kayo | New to Kayo? Get your first month for just $1. Limited time offer.

    FIFA will on Thursday (AEDT) confirm the hosts of the 2030 and 2034 World Cups and the outrage has begun before the result is even made official.

    A joint bid led by Morocco, Spain and Portugal is set to be awarded the 2030 hosting rights, while, Saudi Arabia has been a controversial choice to host the event in 2034.

    The awarding of hosting rights for both tournaments will go to a vote during a FIFA Congress to be held virtually, but there is no doubt about the outcomes with neither bid having a rival.

    The 2026 World Cup will be co-hosted by the USA, Canada and Mexico.

    Saudi Arabia’s bid for 2034 was boosted heavily as FIFA invoked its principle of continental rotation, therefore only welcoming bids from Asia or Oceania.

    Controversially, the body gave potential bidders barely a month late last year to submit candidacies, and Australia and Indonesia quickly abandoned their interest.

    That left Saudi Arabia as the sole candidate, clearing the way for the World Cup to return to the Gulf region following Qatar’s hosting in 2022.

    FIFA also linked the 2030 and 2034 votes together meaning European nations who would otherwise object to the Saudi event would be forced to vote against the Morocco, Spain and Portugal tournament – which they won’t.

    The kingdom’s de facto ruler, Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, has been using sport for some time now to amass influence and improve its global image.

    Being handed the 2034 World Cup will be a crowning moment, and Saudi will win despite currently only boasting two stadiums with a capacity of 40,000, when a minimum of 14 are required.

    FIFA seems desperate for a fight.Source: Supplied

    The centre pieces of the bid were a stadium that will be built at the $1 trillion mega-city of Neom and a 92,000 seat venue to be called King Salman Stadium in Riyadh.

    Beyond that logistical challenge, the baking temperatures in the northern hemisphere summer could mean pushing the tournament back to later in the year, as happened in 2022.

    However, the fact that Ramadan will take place in December that year is an added complication.

    Moreover, the awarding of the World Cup to Saudi will make the issue of human rights a major talking point again, just as in 2022.

    Rights groups highlight mass executions in Saudi Arabia and allegations of torture, as well as restrictions on women under the conservative country’s male guardianship system. Free expression is severely restricted too.

    Saudi Arabia, which is hosting several high-profile events including Formula One and the WTA Finals tennis, is often accused of “sportswashing” — using sport to divert attention from its rights record.

    The push back has already begun.

    Norway’s soccer federation plans to abstain from giving its approval when the vote is formalised, AP reports.

    “FIFA’s own guidelines for human rights and due diligence have also not been adequately integrated into the process, increasing the risk of human rights violations,” Norway federation president Lise Klaveness said in a statement Tuesday.

    Steve Cockburn, Amnesty’s head of labour rights and sport, said in a recent statement: “There will be a real and predictable human cost to awarding the 2034 World Cup to Saudi Arabia without obtaining credible guarantees of reform.

    The King Salman Stadium will be completed in 2029.Source: Supplied
    The Marrakesh Stadium in Morocco has a long way to go. Photo by AFP.Source: AFP

    “Fans will face discrimination. Migrant workers will face exploitation, and many will die.

    “FIFA must halt the process until proper human rights protections are in place to avoid worsening an already dire situation.”

    He earlier said: “As expected, FIFA’s evaluation of Saudi Arabia’s World Cup bid is an astonishing whitewash of the country’s atrocious human rights record.

    “There are no meaningful commitments that will prevent workers from being exploited, residents from being evicted or activists from being arrested.

    “By ignoring the clear evidence of severe human rights risks, FIFA is likely to bear much responsibility for the violations and abuses that will take place over the coming decade.

    “Fundamental human rights reforms are urgently required in Saudi Arabia, or the 2034 World Cup will be inevitably tarnished by exploitation, discrimination and repression.”

    The 2030 tournament, meanwhile, will mark a century since the first World Cup was held in Uruguay, and as a result the bid will also see the South American nation handed a game along with Argentina and Paraguay.

    That makes it a remarkable and completely unprecedented bid, involving three different continental confederations.

    FIFA already confirmed over a year ago that the joint proposal led by Morocco, Spain and Portugal was the sole contender for 2030, with all other potential candidacies having fallen by the wayside.

    The Stade de Hassan will be the biggest football stadium in the world with 115,000 capacity.Source: Supplied

    A joint British and Irish bid was abandoned when they decided to focus on hosting Euro 2028, while there were suggestions of a bid from South Korea, China, Japan and North Korea.

    Four South American countries launched a joint bid in 2019, convinced that the centenary World Cup should entirely take place on the same continent where it all began.

    In late 2022, UEFA promoted a bid uniting Spain and Portugal with war-torn Ukraine in a show of “solidarity” following the Russian invasion.

    However, Ukraine was quietly dropped from that candidacy last year as Morocco joined forces with the Iberian neighbours, while South America agreed to step aside in exchange for being awarded the hosting of three games, one each for Uruguay, Paraguay and Argentina.

    Following these “centenary celebrations” in the comparative chill of the southern hemisphere winter, the six teams involved — along with their fans — will have to cross the Atlantic Ocean to play a part in the remaining 101 matches.

    This tentacular tournament will conclude with the final on July 21, and it remains to be seen where that game will be staged.

    Spain, which hosted the 1982 World Cup, is set to be the centrepiece as it boasts 11 of the 20 proposed stadiums.

    Morocco — which has tried and failed on five previous occasions to be awarded the staging of the tournament — will become the second African nation to host the competition after South Africa in 2010.

    Potential venues for the final include the Santiago Bernabeu in Madrid and Barcelona’s renovated Camp Nou, as well as the planned Hassan II stadium between Casablanca and Rabat, which is set to become “the biggest stadium in the world” with a capacity of 115,000.

    Portugal, which hosted Euro 2004, will offer two stadiums in Lisbon and one in Porto, and hopes to stage a semi-final.

    — with AFP

    Source link

  • Uncontested World Cup bid a giant win in Saudi’s rise from ‘pariah’ to ‘trusted’ sporting nation

    Uncontested World Cup bid a giant win in Saudi’s rise from ‘pariah’ to ‘trusted’ sporting nation

    Standing on the verge of hosting the World Cup is an undeniable win for oil power Saudi Arabia as it pushes to reshape its economy and shake off its questionable image, analysts say.

    It wasn’t long ago that the desert monarchy was shunned by Western leaders after the 2018 murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi by Saudi agents.

    Now, while human rights controversies have not gone away, the kingdom is gaining a reputation for extravagant forays into sport, backed by its seemingly bottomless oil wealth.

    Watch every match of The ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup Live with no ad breaks in play on Kayo Sports. Join Kayo now and start streaming instantly >

    Australia withdraws 2034 World Cup bid | 05:45

    Saudi Arabia was named as the lone bidder for the 2034 World Cup on Tuesday, a major success that follows a string of high-profile sports acquisitions

    Becoming the lone bidder for the 2034 World Cup, just 27 days after its campaign was announced, caps a stunning year where the unheralded Saudi Pro League has snapped up some of football’s top stars including Cristiano Ronaldo and Neymar.

    Saudi Arabia has also, from nowhere, elbowed its way to the top of professional golf after pressuring the venerable US PGA and European tours into a merger with its upstart LIV Golf.

    These successes and others are not just vanity projects: they are calculated to bring attention, tourists and investments to a deeply conservative country that only opened to non-Muslim visitors in 2019.

    It is nonetheless astonishing that less than a year after Qatar became the first Muslim country to host the World Cup, Gulf neighbour Saudi, under its 38-year-old de facto ruler, Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman or ‘MBS’, is poised to emulate its sometime rival.

    GIGA-PROJECTS

    “Hosting the World Cup in 2034 will mark the pinnacle of MBS-era Saudi Arabia’s transformation programme, where the country ascends from international pariah to trusted and legitimate member of the global community,” Simon Chadwick, professor of sport and geopolitical economy at Paris’s Skema Business School, told AFP.

    “There will be image, reputational, soft power, and nation-branding benefits, as well as some of the economic benefits MBS wants his country to derive from sport.”

    By the time the World Cup kicks off, several huge infrastructure projects will be well underway, including the $500 billion mega-city of NEOM, intended to feature parallel skyscrapers stretching 170 kilometres across mountain and desert terrain.

    NEOM is the flagship of Prince Mohammed’s Vision 2030, an ambitious project to diversify the economy of the world’s biggest oil exporter before other energy sources begin to take over from crude.

    Other ventures include The Red Sea, a high-end tourism destination, Qiddiya, an entertainment city of theme parks, sports and other attractions, and Diriyah, a cultural tourist draw that includes a UNESCO World Heritage site.

    Meanwhile the capital Riyadh is building a major new international airport, intended to rival Dubai as a regional aviation hub, and has unveiled a deep-pocketed new airline, Riyadh Air.

    The World Cup is “an opportunity to showcase the array of ‘giga-projects’ associated with Vision 2030 that should by then be operational, and which are designed to position Saudi Arabia as a destination, for businesses, investors, and tourists”, said Kristian Ulrichsen, a fellow for the Middle East at the Baker Institute think-tank.

    Green List Issue 2 2023 Saudi Arabia’s 170km ‘Line’ city in the desert promises a civilizational revolution that puts humans first, providing an unprecedented urban living experience while preserving the surrounding nature. But the project has also been called a dystopian nightmare. https://www.neom.com/en-us/regions/theline. Picture – SuppliedSource: Supplied
    Green List Issue 2 2023 Saudi Arabia’s 170km ‘Line’ city in the desert promises a civilizational revolution that puts humans first, providing an unprecedented urban living experience while preserving the surrounding nature. But the project has also been called a dystopian nightmare. https://www.neom.com/en-us/regions/theline. Picture – SuppliedSource: Supplied

    ‘INTENSE SCRUTINY’

    With expectations of a 50 percent population rise to 50 million by 2030, and 150 million tourists a year, “the ambitions are significant, and a steady stream of mega-events are going to be required to meet them”, Ulrichsen added.

    “Engaging in sport so heavily, as the Saudis have done with football and golf recently but also in eSports and gaming as well, is a way to reach a mass audience worldwide to tell the story of a changing Saudi Arabia.”

    However, Saudi Arabia, with few world-class venues and patchy transport infrastructure, now faces a challenge to be ready in time to become the first sole host for a 48-team World Cup.

    It will also undoubtedly face accusations of “sportswashing” and greater attention on its human rights record, including laws against homosexuality, gender inequality and one of the highest numbers of executions worldwide.

    “With mega-event hosting comes intense scrutiny, Saudi Arabia will be no different,” Chadwick said.

    “Right now, the country is not capable of hosting the tournament; for instance, its transport links are not good enough and its venues are largely inadequate,” he added.

    “Hosting the World Cup starts the clock ticking — Saudi Arabia must be ready by the end of 2033.”

    Football Aus rules out World Cup bid | 01:03

    FROM F1 TO CR7

    The conservative Gulf monarchy, often criticised over its human rights record, is attempting to burnish its image and attract tourists and investment as it tries to diversify its economy away from oil.

    Here are some of the moves that have turned Saudi Arabia into a major player in sports:

    WINTER SPORTS

    Saudi Arabia, a mostly desert country where summer temperatures touch 50 degrees Celsius (122 degrees Fahrenheit), raised eyebrows last October when it was chosen to host the 2029 Asian Winter Games.

    The event, which has already earned the wrath of environmental campaigners, will be held at NEOM, an under-construction $500 billion megacity that is planning a year-round winter sports complex.

    Five years later, the same year as the World Cup, the capital Riyadh will put on the 2034 Asian Games, an Olympic-sized multi-sports event. Hosting an Olympics is the kingdom’s “ultimate goal”, Sports Minister Prince Abdulaziz bin Turki Al-Faisal told AFP last August.

    – Formula One – The glitzy world of F1 zoomed in to Jeddah, the Red Sea city that is a gateway for pilgrims to Mecca, in 2021 with a night race flanking the coastline. It is one of four grands prix to be held in the wealthy Gulf this year.

    The 2022 edition was overshadowed by an attack by Huthi rebels from Yemen, Saudi’s war-torn neighbour, that left oil facilities belching black smoke within sight of the circuit during practice sessions.

    FOOTBALL

    Saudi Arabian clubs — backed by the Public Investment Fund sovereign wealth vehicle — have been on an extraordinary buying spree this year, starting with Al-Nassr’s signing of Cristiano Ronaldo in January on a two-and-a-half-year deal said to total 400 million euros.

    It opened the floodgates, with Ballon d’Or holder Karim Benzema joining Al-Ittihad, Neymar leaving Qatar-owned Paris Saint-German for Al-Hilal and a stream of other late-career stars making their way to the Saudi Pro League.

    In October 2021, well before the Pro League’s acquisitions, a Saudi-funded consortium completed its takeover of English Premier League club Newcastle United following a protracted wrangle with regulators.

    Fans of the long-time “sleeping giant”, who had been at odds with the previous owner for years, celebrated by donning Arab headdresses at St. James’s Park stadium. Newcastle have since enjoyed a lift in fortunes, qualifying for this season’s Champions League.

    Meanwhile Saudi Arabia will host the Club World Cup at the end of December as well as the 2027 Asian Cup, now a dress rehearsal for the World Cup. It is also bidding to hold the women’s Asian Cup in 2026.

    RIYADH, SAUDI ARABIA – OCTOBER 28: Cristiano Ronaldo and his wife Georgina Rodríguez speak ringside prior to the Heavyweight fight between Tyson Fury and Francis Ngannou at Boulevard Hall on October 28, 2023 in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. (Photo by Justin Setterfield/Getty Images)Source: Getty Images

    GOLF

    Saudi money has changed the face of professional golf after the upstart LIV Golf, following a legal battle with the established US PGA and European tours, announced a shock merger with its rivals in June.

    The deal, which is due to be finalised at the end of December, follows a two-year civil war after LIV poached players for huge sums, prompting the US and European circuits to rule them ineligible for certain tournaments including, in the case of Europe, the Ryder Cup.

    Former world number one Dustin Johnson has been one of the prime beneficiaries, scooping $35 million in prize money in the inaugural season — on top of a reported $150 million just for agreeing to play.

    BOXING

    When world heavyweight champion Tyson Fury won a split-decision in a non-title bout with MMA star Francis Ngannou on Saturday, it was just the latest high-profile fight in Saudi Arabia.

    Anthony Joshua, another British heavyweight, has fought twice in Saudi, earning a big payday each time while swatting off criticism over alleged sportswashing.

    Joshua won his revenge match against America’s Andy Ruiz in King Abdullah Sports City in December 2019, before returning in August last year when he was outclassed by Ukrainian maestro Oleksandr Usyk.

    Britain’s Tyson Fury (L) fights against Cameroonian-French Francis Ngannou during their heavyweight boxing match in Riyadh early on October 29, 2023. (Photo by Fayez NURELDINE / AFP)Source: AFP

    TENNIS

    This year’s Next Gen ATP Finals, featuring the hottest young men’s players, will be played in Jeddah in December. Saudi Arabia was also reported to be the front-runner to host this year’s WTA Finals before Cancun in Mexico was named as the organiser.

    CRICKET

    Last year Saudi Aramco, the world’s biggest oil exporter and one of its richest companies, embarked on a sponsorship of major events organised by the International Cricket Council, including the men’s and women’s one-day and T20 World Cups.

    RALLYING

    The Dakar Rally, initially raced between Paris and the Senegalese capital, has been held on Saudi Arabia’s unforgiving terrain since 2020.

    Last year’s edition was plunged into controversy when French driver Philippe Boutron was seriously wounded in an explosion that French investigators said was caused by an improvised explosive device stowed on his car.

    RACING

    Saudi Arabia has galloped to the fore in horse racing with the $20 million Saudi Cup, the world’s richest race. The 2021 and 2022 editions were won by Saudi-owned horses, including 66-1 Emblem Road’s victory last year. Japanese longshot Panthalassa won this year’s race in February.

    ‘Tough seeing Kerr miss Ballon D’or’ | 01:20

    Source link