Tag: continental confederations

  • ‘Many will die’: Outrage over $1 trillion World Cup ‘vote’ as two strange tournaments locked in

    ‘Many will die’: Outrage over $1 trillion World Cup ‘vote’ as two strange tournaments locked in

    The vote for 2034 World Cup hosting rights has descended into farce with claims a $1 trillion “atrocity” is about to be made official.

    Watch every ball of Australia v India LIVE & ad-break free during play in 4K on Kayo | New to Kayo? Get your first month for just $1. Limited time offer.

    FIFA will on Thursday (AEDT) confirm the hosts of the 2030 and 2034 World Cups and the outrage has begun before the result is even made official.

    A joint bid led by Morocco, Spain and Portugal is set to be awarded the 2030 hosting rights, while, Saudi Arabia has been a controversial choice to host the event in 2034.

    The awarding of hosting rights for both tournaments will go to a vote during a FIFA Congress to be held virtually, but there is no doubt about the outcomes with neither bid having a rival.

    The 2026 World Cup will be co-hosted by the USA, Canada and Mexico.

    Saudi Arabia’s bid for 2034 was boosted heavily as FIFA invoked its principle of continental rotation, therefore only welcoming bids from Asia or Oceania.

    Controversially, the body gave potential bidders barely a month late last year to submit candidacies, and Australia and Indonesia quickly abandoned their interest.

    That left Saudi Arabia as the sole candidate, clearing the way for the World Cup to return to the Gulf region following Qatar’s hosting in 2022.

    FIFA also linked the 2030 and 2034 votes together meaning European nations who would otherwise object to the Saudi event would be forced to vote against the Morocco, Spain and Portugal tournament – which they won’t.

    The kingdom’s de facto ruler, Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, has been using sport for some time now to amass influence and improve its global image.

    Being handed the 2034 World Cup will be a crowning moment, and Saudi will win despite currently only boasting two stadiums with a capacity of 40,000, when a minimum of 14 are required.

    FIFA seems desperate for a fight.Source: Supplied

    The centre pieces of the bid were a stadium that will be built at the $1 trillion mega-city of Neom and a 92,000 seat venue to be called King Salman Stadium in Riyadh.

    Beyond that logistical challenge, the baking temperatures in the northern hemisphere summer could mean pushing the tournament back to later in the year, as happened in 2022.

    However, the fact that Ramadan will take place in December that year is an added complication.

    Moreover, the awarding of the World Cup to Saudi will make the issue of human rights a major talking point again, just as in 2022.

    Rights groups highlight mass executions in Saudi Arabia and allegations of torture, as well as restrictions on women under the conservative country’s male guardianship system. Free expression is severely restricted too.

    Saudi Arabia, which is hosting several high-profile events including Formula One and the WTA Finals tennis, is often accused of “sportswashing” — using sport to divert attention from its rights record.

    The push back has already begun.

    Norway’s soccer federation plans to abstain from giving its approval when the vote is formalised, AP reports.

    “FIFA’s own guidelines for human rights and due diligence have also not been adequately integrated into the process, increasing the risk of human rights violations,” Norway federation president Lise Klaveness said in a statement Tuesday.

    Steve Cockburn, Amnesty’s head of labour rights and sport, said in a recent statement: “There will be a real and predictable human cost to awarding the 2034 World Cup to Saudi Arabia without obtaining credible guarantees of reform.

    The King Salman Stadium will be completed in 2029.Source: Supplied
    The Marrakesh Stadium in Morocco has a long way to go. Photo by AFP.Source: AFP

    “Fans will face discrimination. Migrant workers will face exploitation, and many will die.

    “FIFA must halt the process until proper human rights protections are in place to avoid worsening an already dire situation.”

    He earlier said: “As expected, FIFA’s evaluation of Saudi Arabia’s World Cup bid is an astonishing whitewash of the country’s atrocious human rights record.

    “There are no meaningful commitments that will prevent workers from being exploited, residents from being evicted or activists from being arrested.

    “By ignoring the clear evidence of severe human rights risks, FIFA is likely to bear much responsibility for the violations and abuses that will take place over the coming decade.

    “Fundamental human rights reforms are urgently required in Saudi Arabia, or the 2034 World Cup will be inevitably tarnished by exploitation, discrimination and repression.”

    The 2030 tournament, meanwhile, will mark a century since the first World Cup was held in Uruguay, and as a result the bid will also see the South American nation handed a game along with Argentina and Paraguay.

    That makes it a remarkable and completely unprecedented bid, involving three different continental confederations.

    FIFA already confirmed over a year ago that the joint proposal led by Morocco, Spain and Portugal was the sole contender for 2030, with all other potential candidacies having fallen by the wayside.

    The Stade de Hassan will be the biggest football stadium in the world with 115,000 capacity.Source: Supplied

    A joint British and Irish bid was abandoned when they decided to focus on hosting Euro 2028, while there were suggestions of a bid from South Korea, China, Japan and North Korea.

    Four South American countries launched a joint bid in 2019, convinced that the centenary World Cup should entirely take place on the same continent where it all began.

    In late 2022, UEFA promoted a bid uniting Spain and Portugal with war-torn Ukraine in a show of “solidarity” following the Russian invasion.

    However, Ukraine was quietly dropped from that candidacy last year as Morocco joined forces with the Iberian neighbours, while South America agreed to step aside in exchange for being awarded the hosting of three games, one each for Uruguay, Paraguay and Argentina.

    Following these “centenary celebrations” in the comparative chill of the southern hemisphere winter, the six teams involved — along with their fans — will have to cross the Atlantic Ocean to play a part in the remaining 101 matches.

    This tentacular tournament will conclude with the final on July 21, and it remains to be seen where that game will be staged.

    Spain, which hosted the 1982 World Cup, is set to be the centrepiece as it boasts 11 of the 20 proposed stadiums.

    Morocco — which has tried and failed on five previous occasions to be awarded the staging of the tournament — will become the second African nation to host the competition after South Africa in 2010.

    Potential venues for the final include the Santiago Bernabeu in Madrid and Barcelona’s renovated Camp Nou, as well as the planned Hassan II stadium between Casablanca and Rabat, which is set to become “the biggest stadium in the world” with a capacity of 115,000.

    Portugal, which hosted Euro 2004, will offer two stadiums in Lisbon and one in Porto, and hopes to stage a semi-final.

    — with AFP

    Source link

  • ’End as we know it’: Shock 2030 FIFA World Cup reveal leaves football world stunned

    ’End as we know it’: Shock 2030 FIFA World Cup reveal leaves football world stunned

    Morocco, Portugal and Spain will be joint hosts for the 2030 World Cup but games will also be played in Uruguay, Argentina and Paraguay as the footballing showpiece celebrates its centenary, FIFA announced on Wednesday.

    FIFA said in a statement that the matches in South America — one each in Montevideo, Buenos Aires and Asuncion — were part of the celebration to mark 100 years since the first World Cup in Uruguay.

    The announcement puts an end to competition between two major bids, one led by Spain and Portugal and the other from Argentina, Uruguay, Chile and Paraguay.

    Watch every match of The ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup Live on Kayo Sports. Starts THU 6 OCT 7:30PM AEDT. Join Kayo now and start streaming instantly >

    “In a divided world, FIFA and football are uniting,” said FIFA President Gianni Infantino.

    “The FIFA Council, representing the entire world of football, unanimously agreed to celebrate the centenary of the FIFA World Cup, whose first edition was played in Uruguay in 1930, in the most appropriate way.”

    World football’s governing body said the hosts must still be officially rubber-stamped by the FIFA Congress next year.

    However, Wednesday’s announcement means the way seems clear for this unprecedented intercontinental format, which promises complex political and logistical challenges and raises further questions about the environmental impact of major sporting events.

    The move drew immediate criticism from the influential lobby group Football Supporters Europe, who described it as “the end of the World Cup as we know it”.

    “FIFA continues its cycle of destruction against the greatest tournament on earth,” it said on X, formerly Twitter, adding that the decision was “horrendous for supporters” and “disregards the environment”.

    Lens hand Gunners their first loss | 00:40

    – Exit Ukraine –

    At one stage, Spain and Portugal had included Ukraine in their bid, saying they wanted to send “a message of solidarity and hope” and pay tribute to the “tenacity and resilience” of a country invaded by Russia in February 2022.

    Morocco, a five-time unsuccessful candidate to host the tournament, joined them in mid-March.

    The agreement between European body UEFA and its African (CAF) and South American (CONMEBOL) counterparts confirms the withdrawal of Ukraine and also that of the South American countries, in exchange for a symbolic concession.

    FIFA said Spain, Portugal and Morocco would all qualify automatically for the competition.

    “I am convinced that with Morocco and Portugal we will organise the best World Cup in history,” said Pedro Rocha, the interim president of the Spanish Football Federation (RFEF), in a joint statement issued with those of Morocco and Portugal.

    Morocco, which was last week named as host for the 2025 Africa Cup of Nations, will become the second African country to host the World Cup after South Africa in 2010.

    According to FIFA, a “centenary ceremony” will be held “at the stadium where it all began”, in Montevideo’s Estadio Centenario in 1930, when the event brought together 13 teams in a single host city — compared with 32 for the 2022 World Cup in Qatar and 48 from the 2026 World Cup in North America onwards.

    Man United sink lower with loss in UCL | 00:36

    – Australia-New Zealand for 2034 … or Saudi Arabia? –

    “We could not let this historic opportunity pass us by,” said Alejandro Dominguez, the president of CONMEBOL, as he indicated that the centenary tournament would start in Montevideo.

    “We are honouring the memory of those who came before us,” he added.

    However, a source within FIFA said the traditional opening ceremony would still take place in one of the official host nations.

    FIFA also said it was inviting bids from the Asian and Oceanian continental confederations for the 2034 World Cup, which once again opens the door to a joint bid from Australia and New Zealand.

    Australia has not attempted to host the men’s World Cup since its ill-fated, and controversial, bid for the 2022 tournament, won by Qatar.

    However, Australia can now call itself a proven World Cup destination having hosted a largely successful women’s event in 2023 jointly with New Zealand.

    Football fever spread across the nation off the back of the Matildas’ run to the semi finals, and matches attracted big crowds across the country.

    FIFA also said it was inviting bids from the Asian and Oceanian continental confederations for the 2034 World Cup.Source: News Corp Australia

    Nonetheless, the announcement means the door is also open to money giant Saudi Arabia, which confirmed it was a candidate in the latest step in a campaign to turn the kingdom into a global sports powerhouse.

    On the heels of the Qatar tournament, Saudi Arabia signed Cristiano Ronaldo to play in the Saudi Pro League, the first in a slew of major stars drawn by eye-watering salaries to the world’s biggest crude oil exporter.

    Sport is a major component of Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman’s Vision 2030 reform agenda, which aims to transform Saudi Arabia into a tourism and business hub while transitioning the economy away from fossil fuels.

    Saudi Arabia will also host the FIFA Club World Cup in December.

    Earlier this year Saudi Arabia was confirmed as host of football’s 2027 Asian Cup.

    That event will enable Saudi officials to improve on existing football infrastructure, with new “world-class stadiums” constructed “in the most sustainable ways”, Saudi football federation president Yasser Al Misehal said on Wednesday.

    Saudi Arabia previously explored a tri-continental World Cup bid with Egypt and Greece, though that plan has been shelved.

    Source link