Tag: final football match

  • Premier League twist as NZ joins early 2026 World Cup qualifiers but star striker goes down

    Premier League twist as NZ joins early 2026 World Cup qualifiers but star striker goes down

    New Zealand reached the World Cup for only the third time with a 3-0 win over New Caledonia but lost in-form Nottingham Forest striker Chris Wood to injury.

    The All Whites join already qualified Japan and co-hosts the United States, Canada and Mexico at next year’s finals thanks to three second-half goals.

    But the victory in Auckland in the final of Oceania qualifying came at a cost, with skipper Wood suffering what appeared to be a hip injury.

    Watch the biggest Aussie sports & the best from overseas LIVE on Kayo Sports | New to Kayo? Get your first month for just $1. Limited time offer.

    SOCCEROOS: The ‘kick up the backside’ behind revival as European form sparks key WC qualies acts

    New Zealand’s Chris Wood goes down injured during the FIFA World Cup 2026 Oceania qualifiers group final football match between New Zealand and New Caledonia at Eden Park Stadium in Auckland on March 24, 2025. (Photo by DAVID ROWLAND / AFP)Source: AFP

    Soon after half time at Eden Park, Wood hurt himself swivelling for a shot and required treatment before hobbling off in the 54th minute.

    “It’s not great for us losing our captain and our goalscorer. It was a difficult thing for the team but they came through so well,” said New Zealand’s English coach Darren Bazeley.

    The hosts looked out of ideas after dominating the first half, but then up popped veteran defender Michael Boxall on 61 minutes to head home from a corner with his first goal for his country.

    Five minutes later Wood’s replacement Kosta Barbarouses chipped the ball over advancing New Caledonia goalkeeper Rocky Nyikeine.

    Substitute Eli Just put gloss on the scoreline from close range with 10 minutes left.

    New Caledonia’s unlikely World Cup hopes are not over and they will go into an intercontinental playoff.

    Next year’s World Cup has been expanded to 48 teams, meaning direct entry for the first time for the team that won the qualifying competition in Oceania.

    The region’s top side previously had to go through an intercontinental playoff, with New Zealand falling at the final hurdle to Mexico, Costa Rica and Peru in recent editions.

    New Zealand have been to the World Cup twice before, in 1982 and 2010, but are yet to win at the competition in six matches.

    “Once the World Cup expanded we expected this of ourselves,” said Boxall. “It’s not about getting there, it’s about what we do when we get there.”

    Chris Wood acknowledges the crowd after their victory during the FIFA World Cup 2026 Oceania qualifiers group final football match between New Zealand and New Caledonia at Eden Park Stadium in Auckland on March 24, 2025. (Photo by DAVID ROWLAND / AFP)Source: AFP

    Facing a side ranked 152 in the world, 63 places below them, hosts New Zealand immediately went on the front foot.

    New Caledonia, a French Pacific territory of about 300,000 people which has never been to the World Cup, twice cleared off the line in quick succession after 20 minutes.

    Wood, who is in the form of his life at Forest with 18 goals in the Premier League this season, had a chance in the 32nd minute but Nyikeine saved comfortably.

    The 33-year-old Wood then headed over the bar from a corner and at the half-time whistle, with the game unexpectedly level, the New Caledonia players mobbed Nyikeine.

    Bazeley had seen enough and made two changes at the break, bringing on winger Just and defender Francis de Vries.

    Despite losing talisman Wood, New Zealand’s pressure eventually paid off against a rapidly tiring New Caledonia to put the All Whites into the World Cup.

    Source link

  • Man Utd stun City in wild FA Cup boilover as embattled coach hits back at sack reports

    Man Utd stun City in wild FA Cup boilover as embattled coach hits back at sack reports

    Erik ten Hag warned Manchester United’s owners that he will carry on winning trophies elsewhere if they decide to sack him in the aftermath of Saturday’s 2-1 victory against Manchester City in the FA Cup final.

    Ten Hag went into the final rocked by reports that he would be dismissed regardless of the result at Wembley.

    But United’s beleaguered manager made a convincing case to remain in charge as he out-witted City boss Pep Guardiola to deliver the second trophy of his turbulent two-year reign.

    Now Ten Hag must wait to discover his fate after insisting he had not been told if he will be axed.

    United captain Bruno Fernandes said: “It is crucial for everyone. We know the manager is under so much scrutiny, he deserves this.

    “Also everyone in the backroom staff and the players, we all deserve this.”

    City were well below the standards they showed during their blistering march to an unprecedented fourth successive Premier League title.

    Rocked by first half goals from United teenagers Alejandro Garnacho and Kobbie Mainoo, City could only get one back after the interval through Jeremy Doku’s late strike.

    Manchester United’s Argentinian midfielder #17 Alejandro Garnacho (R) scores the first goal after a City error.Source: AFP

    United co-owner Jim Ratcliffe and members of the Glazer family, who are the club’s majority shareholders, celebrated the team’s first FA Cup triumph in eight years from the Royal box.

    It remains to be seen whether that will be enough to save Ten Hag after United finished eighth in the Premier League — their lowest final position since 1990 — and crashed out of the Champions League at the group stage.

    United were beaten 14 times in the league — including humiliating losses to Crystal Palace and Bournemouth — finished with a negative goal difference and came 31 points behind champions City.

    Yet Ten Hag is adamant United are heading in the right direction under his guidance.

    And in a defiant post-match press conference, the former Ajax boss made it clear he did not fear the sack.

    “I don’t know (if I will stay),” he told the BBC.

    “When I started here, I said I’m here to win, also I want to build a team. Both I’m doing,” he said.

    “If they don’t want me, I go anywhere else and do what I did my whole career, winning games and trophies.”

    Manchester United’s Dutch manager Erik ten Hag holds the trophy as he waves to the fans.Source: AFP

    Asked if he had received any assurances that his job was secure since the reports of his potential dismissal, Ten Hag said: “That is what they always tell me (in the past).

    “Every time it is the same question. They don’t have to tell me every week.

    “I don’t think about this. I’m in a project and we are exactly where we want to be. We are constructing a team for the future.”

    United have been linked with former Chelsea boss Mauricio Pochettino, ex-Bayern Munich coach Thomas Tuchel, England manager Gareth Southgate and Ipswich chief Kieran McKenna.

    Pressed on whether reports that United had talked to prospective replacements for him was disrespectful, Ten Hag said: “I don’t know if they have done this. I can’t answer this.

    “I don’t have to make this decision. In the last decade there were not so many trophies and finals for this club.”

    Ten Hag could be sacked despite winning the FA Cup.Source: AFP

    Beating a City team that clinched an unprecedented fourth successive Premier League last weekend was undoubtedly a feather in Ten Hag’s cap.

    The Dutchman, who ended United’s six-year trophy drought by winning the League Cup last season, could take credit for an astute game-plan and he admitted it was a sweet success in the circumstances.

    “If you play at this level against the best team in the world, then I’m very happy,” he said.

    “The FA Cup was absolutely one on my bucket list. It is a huge trophy. I’m so happy we won because it was a team performance.

    “When I took over it was a mess at United. We will go with ups and downs but the team plays with an identity.

    “We are exactly where we should be. We have values in the squad, the team is progressing. Two trophies in three years is not bad. Three finals as well, but I’m not satisfied.”

    Manchester United’s English midfielder #37 Kobbie Mainoo celebrates after scoring his team’s second goal.Source: AFP

    Ten Hag appears to have the support of his players, with Lisandro Martinez lifting him into the air in celebration when the final whistle sounded, before he was embraced by many of his players.

    Ten Hag was cheered to the rafters by United fans when he held up the Cup in the Royal box, kissing it and repeatedly shouting “yes” as he gestured towards the celebrating mass of red in the Wembley sunshine.

    If Ten Hag has earned a reprieve, he made it clear more investment in the squad is needed to compete with City in the long term.

    “When you don’t have the players available, then you can’t perform,” he said of United’s injury-plagued season.

    “The depth in the squad is absolutely not good enough. We strengthened the squad with our coaching but we need transfer windows to bring in players who are always available.”

    Source link

  • Inter Miami fans up in arms after Messi mania sparks ‘crazy’ ticket price hike

    Inter Miami fans up in arms after Messi mania sparks ‘crazy’ ticket price hike

    Fans of Lionel Messi’s Inter Miami are up in arms after the Major League Soccer club doubled season ticket prices for next season, but the chance to watch the World Cup winner will still tempt many into forking out the cash.

    The club, co-owned by Miami businessman Jorge Mas and former England player David Beckham, emailed fans on Thursday with details of their ticket renewal prices.

    This season’s cheapest season ticket was $485 but the ‘Messi effect’ means that has risen to $884 for a place behind the goal for the 17 home MLS games. That comes out at $52 per match.

    Newcastle eliminate City out of EFL Cup | 00:42

    Seats offering a broader view, close to the half-way line with access to a food and drink ‘club’ area, have risen from $3,600 to $7,650 and there are similar rises for the most expensive seats.

    The cheapest season ticket to watch European and Premier League champions Manchester City is $469 with the most expensive costing $1,256 although hospitality deals are separate from season tickets.

    At Messi’s former club Barcelona, the lowest price for a season pass is $380.53 with the most costly $919.62.

    Season ticket holders this season have been protected from the massive surge in single match ticket prices for Miami games prompted by Messi’s arrival in July.

    Indeed, some have cashed in by selling their season ticket access to individual games on the secondary ticket market for significant mark-ups.

    Fans will be able to downgrade their seats to cheaper options if they wish and a club source said that they have an extensive waiting list for season tickets.

    Lionel Messi reacts as he walks to the locker room (Photo by Tim Nwachukwu / GETTY IMAGES NORTH AMERICA / Getty Images via AFP)Source: AFP

    The club are in just the fourth season of their existence and the annoyance is particularly acute among fans who spent years hoping to have an MLS team to support.

    Ed Serrano, who was one of the leaders of the campaign to bring an MLS franchise to South Florida, spending years lobbying league officials and holding events to build support, said he knows of many fans who are thinking of not renewing.

    “It’s crazy. I expected them to go up, but maximum 50%. These guys are just thinking about making money and there is a lot of demand so they think they will get away with it,” he told AFP.

    “Maybe they are looking for just the elite to watch the games and forget about other people. “They are going to lose people like this if they continue with this mentality,” he said.

    The club plan to move from their temporary DRV PNK Stadium, in Fort Lauderdale in 2025, to a new site Miami Freedom Park, by Miami International Airport.

    The $350 million stadium will be part of a reported $1 billion retail, entertainment, office and hotel development.

    That switch to the new home is scheduled for the last year of Messi’s $150 million deal with the club.

    Lionel Messi celebrates after winning the Leagues Cup final football match. (Photo by CHANDAN KHANNA / AFP)Source: AFP

    A club source said that the price rise reflects the changes on the field after bringing in Messi, along with former Spain internationals Sergio Busquets and Jordi Alba, as well as the broader investments being made.

    But Serrano fears the cost increase may damage the building of a fan base for the future.

    “One day Messi will be gone….they aren’t thinking in the big picture. It is the hardcore that they are chasing away and they may never come back,” he said.

    Some fans who have already been prepared to commit large sums to secure seats are rethinking their approach for next season.

    Jeffrey Skatoff of Palm Beach Gardens, who spent over $20,000 on seven season tickets for family and friends, said the renewal price he was quoted saw the total rise to $53,550.

    “I liked having seven season tickets. I could give them away or bring casual fans to games, because the price was decent. Now I will probably go from seven season tickets down to two,” he said.

    Serrano, known among Inter fans as ‘Uncle Ed’ says that despite his strong objections, he will likely still fork out the money.

    “I’m just so shocked by all this. I was contemplating boycotting but I love the team too much and fought so hard to get a team that I can’t bring myself to do it”.

    Source link