Tag: modern era

  • Mass ODI player exodus looms but Hoff won’t be one of them

    Mass ODI player exodus looms but Hoff won’t be one of them

    This World Cup could be shaping as a mass swan song for a stack of Australian one-day greats, but not Josh Hazlewood.

    The 32-year-old fast bowling veteran has declared he has no intention of retiring from 50-over cricket at the end of the ODI showpiece and is adamant he wants to continue playing all three formats.

    There has been speculation that David Warner, Steve Smith, Mitchell Starc, Pat Cummins and Hazlewood might all be playing 50-over cricket for the last time at the tournament starting in India on Thursday night, representing the end of an era for a group that famously led Australia to 2015 World Cup glory on home soil.

    Part of the thinking has been that Australia’s big three quicks might look to shed a format to prolong their Test careers.

    Also, Australia has often looked at its ODI selection in cycles with a view to picking players who will be there for the next World Cup.

    However, Hazlewood, at least, isn’t seeing this World Cup as the end and has indicated that continuing in all three formats actually helps him maintain his equilibrium as one of the world’s greatest wicket-takers.

    “I still feel like I want to play all three formats,” Hazlewood told this masthead.

    “It’s easy to say now, I guess. But after the World Cup, I think I’ll still feel the same.

    “And after the T20 World Cup (next year), (I think I’ll) still feel the same.

    “Sometimes it’s easier just to keep going along and playing all the formats and keeping in rhythm and getting your bowling up to scratch and learning new tricks in different formats to then (transfer) to other formats.”

    Hazlewood has had his fair share of injury problems over the past two years which has limited his Test cricket, but the big right-armer doesn’t believe cutting back on the amount of cricket he’s playing is the solution.

    “Obviously if you just play one format there’s big breaks. There’s building up again and getting ready and I always like being bowling and maintaining that level of fitness through playing,” Hazlewood said.

    “It’s obviously a lot of time on the road and there are times when you need to recover and rest and maybe miss a three-match series here or there in different countries, but overall I think I still have that appetite to play all three.”

    Hazlewood is the world’s No.2 ranked ODI bowler and Australia’s No.1 and the good news is he feels as though confidence in his body has been restored by powering through the Ashes tour without any fitness issues, having missed the Indian Test series earlier this year with an Achilles problem.

    “Yeah I have. First game was hard work. I still didn’t have those miles in the legs. But as the (Ashes) series went on I felt a lot more confidence out there and getting that confidence of bowling back-to-back spells, back-to-back days and back-to-back games,” Hazlewood said.

    “It’s just building that workload up again and everything feels in a really good place.”

    This will almost certainly be Warner’s swan song in one-day cricket given he intends to retire from Test cricket after the Sydney Test.

    Although he would still be a key part of Australia’s tilt at next year’s T20 World Cup.

    Starc is 33 years of age and has always said longevity playing Test cricket will be his No.1 motivation when it comes to deciding on whether or not to shed formats.

    However, Starc is one of the greatest white ball bowlers of the modern era and it’s not certain he will hang up the boots in 50-over cricket after this World Cup.

    Starc has already revealed he’s signing up for next year’s Indian Premier League competition for the first time in nearly a decade.

    The feeling is Cummins will at the very least step down from the ODI captaincy after this World Cup.

    Cummins is only 30, but has scarcely played much ODI cricket over the past couple of years anyway, and given his importance to Australia’s Test future might feel he’s better served focusing on Tests and T20s.

    Source link

  • Why Ange holds ‘God-like’ status as ‘relentless’ Hoops conquer ‘impossible’ feat — UK View

    Why Ange holds ‘God-like’ status as ‘relentless’ Hoops conquer ‘impossible’ feat — UK View

    Ange Postecoglou is being hailed for creating Scotland’s greatest team of the modern era after Celtic romped home to a second-straight league title with a whopping four games to spare.

    The Australian manager took the reins at Parkhead last season amid widespread criticism, with many saying he wouldn’t last a season inside the pressure cooker that is managing Celtic.

    Two SPL titles later — Celtic is also on-track to complete a domestic treble this season — Postecoglou is being showered with the highest possible praise from pundits for the new dynasty he has set-up for the Hoops.

    Watch the world’s best footballers every week with beIN SPORTS on Kayo. LIVE coverage from Bundesliga, Ligue 1, Serie A, Carabao Cup, EFL & SPFL. New to Kayo? Start your free trial now >

    READ MORE

    ‘ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS’: Ange’s Celtic conquers league again… and it wasn’t even close

    ‘I’VE GOT THE EASY BIT’: Question that left Ange fighting back tears after epic Celtic title triumph

    Writing for The Scotsman, Andrew Smith compared Postecoglou’s Celtic to the other great modern, Scottish teams; Brendan Rodgers’ undefeated Celtic of 2016-17, and Steven Gerrard’s undefeated Rangers of 2020-21.

    Smith wrote that for the style and consistency Postecoglou has created at Celtic, it is the clear top team despite having lost once this season.

    “The sparkle, the sheen, the scintillating manner with which Postecoglou and his playing gems have dazzled the opposition within their, albeit modest, domain demands any hint of indifference be eschewed,” he wrote.

    “For, make no mistake, in the modern age of the Scottish top flight there hasn’t been a team as consistently entertaining and enterprising as the flailing funsters the Australian has finessed.

    “For sheer watchability, though, Postecoglou’s men need not defer to either of these teams. Not when they boast a 9-0 win, a six-goal mauling, two five-goal returns, and five encounters when they have netted four times across 33 games that have yielded 30 wins, two draws and that solitary defeat.”

    Postecoglou and Celtic claim Premiership | 02:33

    Smith noted that Postecoglou’s Celtic could still set the record for the highest points total in the history of Scottish football, even with a loss on its record.

    If Celtic wins all five of its remaining games, it would reach 107 points, beating Rodgers’ invincibles on 106. With 14 more goals, Celtic could also break the scoring record of 116, set in 1916.

    “These landmarks are still in play because of the intoxicating mix of drive and deftness that has characterised Celtic’s displays for so much of the campaign,” Smith wrote.

    He added that that “flows” from Postecoglou’s demands that the team “never waste a minute”.

    The Glasgow Times’ chief football writer Matthew Lindsay wrote that Postecoglou already defied the odds by returning Celtic to the top of the tree in his first season, but faced the prospect of ‘Second Album Syndrome’ in his next campaign.

    He described the mountain he faced as “a tall order if not impossible task”.

    “If anything, though, Postecoglou has made even more of an impact on the Scottish game this season than he did in his first,” he wrote.

    Lindsay wrote that “good coaching, sound tactics and astute man management have all played a part”, but noted Postecoglou’s nous in the transfer market for “underpinning” his success.

    Postecoglou’s biggest buys were just over £12 million on Cameron Carter-Vickers and winger Jota, while other key recruits were signed on a pittance, such as fellow Australian Aaron Mooy for free, or other shrewd signings Kyogo Furuhashi and right back Alistair Johnston.

    Ange Postecoglou after Celtic wrapped up the SPL title on Sunday.Source: Getty Images

    Lindsay said that Postecoglou’s success has now once again triggered the big questions for Celtic, which have a way of re-emerging after its strongest seasons.

    “Have they outgrown Scottish football? Should they move down to England or join a breakaway European super league? They are backhanded compliments in a way,” he wrote.

    He added: “Can Ange Postecoglou, the Greek-Australian with the weird name who few had heard of and whose appointment many ridiculed, take Celtic to a higher level in the 2023/24 season? It will be a big ask. But do not bet against it.”

    For all of Postecoglou’s tremendous work with Celtic on the field, The Guardian’s Ewan Murray believes the former Socceroos boss has connected with the fans unlike many, if not all of his predecessors.

    “Postecoglou’s status among the supporters is God-like,” Murray wrote.

    “He could launch a bid for the Rangers captain James Tavernier without significant dissent.”

    Meanwhile, former Celtic player and analyst Stilyan Petrov believes that this already-dominant Celtic group may only continue to get better under Postecoglou.

    Asked on Sky Sports how his side has achieved this level of consistency, Petrov said: “It’s the manager. It’s the messages. It’s everything he does day-to-day. It’s the staff around the place.

    “He develops. This is what he does. He develops the players and the style of play.

    “When you have a manager who drives that every day, there is no question that they will continue to develop and improve in the right manner.”



    Source link