Tag: soccer federation

  • ‘Many will die’: Outrage over $1 trillion World Cup ‘vote’ as two strange tournaments locked in

    ‘Many will die’: Outrage over $1 trillion World Cup ‘vote’ as two strange tournaments locked in

    The vote for 2034 World Cup hosting rights has descended into farce with claims a $1 trillion “atrocity” is about to be made official.

    Watch every ball of Australia v India LIVE & ad-break free during play in 4K on Kayo | New to Kayo? Get your first month for just $1. Limited time offer.

    FIFA will on Thursday (AEDT) confirm the hosts of the 2030 and 2034 World Cups and the outrage has begun before the result is even made official.

    A joint bid led by Morocco, Spain and Portugal is set to be awarded the 2030 hosting rights, while, Saudi Arabia has been a controversial choice to host the event in 2034.

    The awarding of hosting rights for both tournaments will go to a vote during a FIFA Congress to be held virtually, but there is no doubt about the outcomes with neither bid having a rival.

    The 2026 World Cup will be co-hosted by the USA, Canada and Mexico.

    Saudi Arabia’s bid for 2034 was boosted heavily as FIFA invoked its principle of continental rotation, therefore only welcoming bids from Asia or Oceania.

    Controversially, the body gave potential bidders barely a month late last year to submit candidacies, and Australia and Indonesia quickly abandoned their interest.

    That left Saudi Arabia as the sole candidate, clearing the way for the World Cup to return to the Gulf region following Qatar’s hosting in 2022.

    FIFA also linked the 2030 and 2034 votes together meaning European nations who would otherwise object to the Saudi event would be forced to vote against the Morocco, Spain and Portugal tournament – which they won’t.

    The kingdom’s de facto ruler, Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, has been using sport for some time now to amass influence and improve its global image.

    Being handed the 2034 World Cup will be a crowning moment, and Saudi will win despite currently only boasting two stadiums with a capacity of 40,000, when a minimum of 14 are required.

    FIFA seems desperate for a fight.Source: Supplied

    The centre pieces of the bid were a stadium that will be built at the $1 trillion mega-city of Neom and a 92,000 seat venue to be called King Salman Stadium in Riyadh.

    Beyond that logistical challenge, the baking temperatures in the northern hemisphere summer could mean pushing the tournament back to later in the year, as happened in 2022.

    However, the fact that Ramadan will take place in December that year is an added complication.

    Moreover, the awarding of the World Cup to Saudi will make the issue of human rights a major talking point again, just as in 2022.

    Rights groups highlight mass executions in Saudi Arabia and allegations of torture, as well as restrictions on women under the conservative country’s male guardianship system. Free expression is severely restricted too.

    Saudi Arabia, which is hosting several high-profile events including Formula One and the WTA Finals tennis, is often accused of “sportswashing” — using sport to divert attention from its rights record.

    The push back has already begun.

    Norway’s soccer federation plans to abstain from giving its approval when the vote is formalised, AP reports.

    “FIFA’s own guidelines for human rights and due diligence have also not been adequately integrated into the process, increasing the risk of human rights violations,” Norway federation president Lise Klaveness said in a statement Tuesday.

    Steve Cockburn, Amnesty’s head of labour rights and sport, said in a recent statement: “There will be a real and predictable human cost to awarding the 2034 World Cup to Saudi Arabia without obtaining credible guarantees of reform.

    The King Salman Stadium will be completed in 2029.Source: Supplied
    The Marrakesh Stadium in Morocco has a long way to go. Photo by AFP.Source: AFP

    “Fans will face discrimination. Migrant workers will face exploitation, and many will die.

    “FIFA must halt the process until proper human rights protections are in place to avoid worsening an already dire situation.”

    He earlier said: “As expected, FIFA’s evaluation of Saudi Arabia’s World Cup bid is an astonishing whitewash of the country’s atrocious human rights record.

    “There are no meaningful commitments that will prevent workers from being exploited, residents from being evicted or activists from being arrested.

    “By ignoring the clear evidence of severe human rights risks, FIFA is likely to bear much responsibility for the violations and abuses that will take place over the coming decade.

    “Fundamental human rights reforms are urgently required in Saudi Arabia, or the 2034 World Cup will be inevitably tarnished by exploitation, discrimination and repression.”

    The 2030 tournament, meanwhile, will mark a century since the first World Cup was held in Uruguay, and as a result the bid will also see the South American nation handed a game along with Argentina and Paraguay.

    That makes it a remarkable and completely unprecedented bid, involving three different continental confederations.

    FIFA already confirmed over a year ago that the joint proposal led by Morocco, Spain and Portugal was the sole contender for 2030, with all other potential candidacies having fallen by the wayside.

    The Stade de Hassan will be the biggest football stadium in the world with 115,000 capacity.Source: Supplied

    A joint British and Irish bid was abandoned when they decided to focus on hosting Euro 2028, while there were suggestions of a bid from South Korea, China, Japan and North Korea.

    Four South American countries launched a joint bid in 2019, convinced that the centenary World Cup should entirely take place on the same continent where it all began.

    In late 2022, UEFA promoted a bid uniting Spain and Portugal with war-torn Ukraine in a show of “solidarity” following the Russian invasion.

    However, Ukraine was quietly dropped from that candidacy last year as Morocco joined forces with the Iberian neighbours, while South America agreed to step aside in exchange for being awarded the hosting of three games, one each for Uruguay, Paraguay and Argentina.

    Following these “centenary celebrations” in the comparative chill of the southern hemisphere winter, the six teams involved — along with their fans — will have to cross the Atlantic Ocean to play a part in the remaining 101 matches.

    This tentacular tournament will conclude with the final on July 21, and it remains to be seen where that game will be staged.

    Spain, which hosted the 1982 World Cup, is set to be the centrepiece as it boasts 11 of the 20 proposed stadiums.

    Morocco — which has tried and failed on five previous occasions to be awarded the staging of the tournament — will become the second African nation to host the competition after South Africa in 2010.

    Potential venues for the final include the Santiago Bernabeu in Madrid and Barcelona’s renovated Camp Nou, as well as the planned Hassan II stadium between Casablanca and Rabat, which is set to become “the biggest stadium in the world” with a capacity of 115,000.

    Portugal, which hosted Euro 2004, will offer two stadiums in Lisbon and one in Porto, and hopes to stage a semi-final.

    — with AFP

    Source link

  • Spanish government’s World Cup blunder proves they just don’t get it

    Spanish government’s World Cup blunder proves they just don’t get it

    The Spanish Government has made a ridiculous blunder, seemingly mistaking the sister of Argentinian football Mauro Icardi for its own World Cup winning captain.

    The Official State Gazette of Spain have awarded the Spanish women’s national team the Royal Order of Sports Merit for their success during the World Cup this summer.

    Stream Over 50 Sports Live & On-Demand with Kayo. Join now and start streaming instantly >

    But the official release has made an enormous mistake when printing the names of those being honoured by the government, as spotted by Spanish newspaper MARCA.

    The first name on the list was printed as Ivana Icardi Rivero, the sister of Galatasaray footballer Mauro Icardi.

    But Ivana is not a footballer and isn’t even Spanish.

    She is instead an Argentinian influencer and model who had nothing to do with Spain’s heroics in Australia and New Zealand.

    The mistake appears to be a shocking typo with the first name on the list actually supposed to be Spain captain Ivana Andres.

    Ivana Andres of Spain. Photo by Robert Cianflone/Getty ImagesSource: Getty Images
    Ivana Icardi Rivero of Argentina. Photo: InstagramSource: Instagram

    And it’s not the only mistake made by those in charge of the list of honorees either.

    Barcelona and Spain midfielder Aitana Bonmati, who was named both the UEFA player of the year and the World Cup’s best player, also had her name misspelt on the published list.

    Her full name is in fact Aitana Bonmati Conca, but it was written instead with an extra “S” as Aitana Bonmati Concas.

    MARCA reported that the mistakes have since been noticed and the Higher Sports Council have admitted that there was human error when producing the honours list.

    The organisation is said to have now apologised for their mistake and sent letters to those individuals who have been affected.

    Did no one proof read it before it went out?Source: The Sun
    Spain celebrating the World Cup win. Photo by Cameron Spencer/Getty ImagesSource: Getty Images

    But it’s hardly the mistake the world would have liked to have seen after the dramas which have overshadowed the team’s historic World Cup victory.

    Spain’s World Cup win made them the second nation to win both the men’s and women’s titles.

    The side did it despite being without 12 of its best players after a revolt over coach Jorge Vilda, who has since been sacked by Spain.

    And paired with the Spanish football federation president Luis Rubiales’ kiss scandal, which has seen him stood down by FIFA as they investigate and over 80 players pledge not to represent the national team while he is still in place, it makes the blunder just so much worse.

    This story first appeared in The Sun and was republished with permission.

    Source link

  • Luis Rubiales’ uncle’s wild ‘affair’ accusation in kiss scandal twist

    Luis Rubiales’ uncle’s wild ‘affair’ accusation in kiss scandal twist

    The uncle of suspended Spanish football boss Luis Rubiales has labelled his nephew “a boy”, as well as levelling accusations of his interactions with women.

    Rubiales is refusing to quit his posts as president of the Spanish football federation and vice-president of European football body UEFA, despite international pressure after he grabbed the face and kissed Spanish World Cup player Jenni Hermoso.

    He also grabbed his genitals after Spain completed their 1-0 win over England to claim the trophy.

    Rubiales has claimed the interaction was consensual and that Hermoso lifted him in the air.

    However, Hermoso has denied claims it was consensual and video has emerged showing it was Rubiales who jumped into the player’s arms before planting the kiss.

    After days of denials from the Spanish football federation, FIFA then stepped in to suspend Rubiales for 90 days while it looks into the claims.

    While Rubiales family has come out in support of the football official including his mother who said she was prepared to die after starting a hunger strike until his name was cleared, his uncle Juan Rubiales has told a different story.

    Rubiales has been hit with more accusations. Photo by Noemi Llamas/Eurasia Sport Images/Getty ImagesSource: Getty Images

    Juan, who was Luis’ former Chief of Staff, has condemned his nephew’s alleged actions.

    Speaking with Spanish publication El Confidencial, Juan, whose time as chief of staff ended on bad terms after two years, claimed Luis of “being obsessed with power, money, women”.

    “He is a man obsessed with power, obsessed with luxury, obsessed with money, even with women,” Juan said.

    “I think he is a boy … I ask for generosity from Spanish society, which has been very forceful with him … A certain generosity to him, to the human being. Because I believe that this boy needs a program of social re-education and re-education in his relationship with the woman.

    “Because when he had been in the Federation for a year, he insisted on buying a two million euro penthouse with a pool in the centre of Madrid, for example.

    “He needed to put on the suit of an important person, who handled money, who had contacts. He’s obsessed with it. Also with women, with big meals.”

    He also accused Luis of using federation money to travel to New York to meet a woman he had been dating.

    While Juan claimed he was told they were going to New York for negotiations, he soon realised it was allegedly not the case.

    “When I get there I realise that no negotiations, no meetings, no nothing,” he said.

    “There is a car waiting for us, a van rented by the Royal Federation, it takes us to a hotel in the center, and there is this girl, and they have an affair the entire time we were there.

    “There was only one meal that I had with a former League worker with whom I had a good relationship and Luis joined the meal. Then he sold it as if it had been a work meeting, but it wasn’t true.

    “The five or six days of the trip he was exclusively with her. It was a holiday trip with her.”

    The leader assured his entourage that he had flown to the other side of the Atlantic to hold working meetings with representatives of the United Nations and Major League Soccer.

    Rubiales had threatened legal action against Hermoso. Photo by FRANCK FIFE / AFPSource: AFP

    El Confidencial reports that Rubiales spent that week sightseeing in Manhattan in the company of a Mexican painter with whom he allegedly had a romantic relationship. 

    If proven true, it could constitute a crime of unfair administration, punishable by up to three years in prison.

    It comes as the mother of Luis was taken to hospital after three days of a hunger strike.

    Angeles Bejar, who began her protest against her son’s treatment inside the Divina Pastora church in the southern seaside town of Motril, was evacuated and taken to hospital by the emergency services, parish priest Antonio Rodriguez told reporters.

    “I have to tell you that she had a seizure and had to be rushed to hospital,” the priest said. She is no longer here.” He adding that Bejar was “tired, with many (health) problems, and not just anaemia”.

    Rubiales’ mother had promised to stay locked up in the church until Jenni Hermoso, the player who was kissed on the mouth by her son, “tells the truth” about what happened, a family member explained.

    “This harassment is not fair. His mother, who is very religious, found refuge with God. She has started a hunger strike and does not want to leave the church”, her niece Vanessa Ruiz Bejar said on Monday.

    With AFP

    Source link