Tag: Tom Heaton

  • Five massive EPL moves that could still happen as transfer deadline looms

    Five massive EPL moves that could still happen as transfer deadline looms

    The Premier League season is underway, but there’s still time for teams to make some last-minute moves before the transfer window slams shut.

    This year, the typical August 31 deadline day has been moved for Europe’s top five leagues due to midweek match fixtures.

    The transfer window will instead close at 11pm (British Standard Time) on September 1. That’s 8am AEST Thursday 2nd September.

    So far this window, six Premier League clubs have net transfer spends over €100m ($A169m), with Manchester City set to join them when they confirm the €65m arrival of winger Jérémy Doku from Rennes.

    But a host of big names could still be set to make moves in the final week before the transfer window slams shut.

    Here are five players to watch out for.

    Stream Over 50 Sports Live & On-Demand with Kayo. Join now and start streaming instantly >

    Ronaldo goes NUCLEAR at referee | 00:33

    Romelu Lukaku

    One of the longest-running transfer sagas of this off-season, Lukaku’s future remains well and truly up in the air.

    According to respected transfer journalist Fabrizio Romano, Lukaku has not even spoken to Chelsea manager Mauricio Pochettino – and appears unlikely to get a look-in at the Blues this season, after the club gave him an extended break in the off-season to seek a move elsewhere.

    The most likely destination appeared to be Inter Milan, where he scored 14 goals on loan last season (and where the Belgian striker played before signing for Chelsea in 2021).

    But a $63m move collapsed in spectacular fashion after Inter found out he was secretly negotiating a transfer to their rivals Juventus.

    MORE: ‘Huge disappointment’: $63m exit falls apart after two-year lie exposed

    Juventus are financially thinly stretched and cannot afford to sign Lukaku without offloading the likes of Duhan Vlahovic, who they offered to the Blues in a swap deal – only to be rejected.

    If Juventus can sell Vlahovic, a deal for Lukaku appears likely.

    But if they can’t, Lukaku’s only real option appears to be Saudi Arabia. He rejected a move to Al-Hilal earlier in the window to try and continue his career in Europe’s top divisions.

    But with precious little interest outside of Juventus, he could be forced to backtrack and accept a move to the Middle East – or else spend a season on the fringes at Stamford Bridge.

    MORE NEWS

    ‘Lived out our dream’: Sam Kerr’s heartfelt parting message for Australia

    ‘I’ve heard it all before’: Aussie legend’s blunt reality check over Matildas claim

    ‘Wake up, f***ing hell’: Ronaldo explodes at referee, shoves fan in ugly meltdown

    Romelu Lukaku has had a frustrating window – and it could get worse.Source: AFP

    Mason Greenwood

    The 21-year-old Manchester United attacker was viewed as one of the most talented young forwards in the game and valued at over £100m just two years ago.

    Sickening audio and video of the player with a former partner was posted online in January 2022, leading police to charge him with attempted rape, controlling and coercive behaviour, and assault occasioning actual bodily harm.

    He was stood down by the club, before police dropped the charges this February after key witnesses including the alleged victim stopped co-operating with the investigation.

    Manchester United subsequently undertook a (heavily criticised) six-month investigation into the abuse allegations, and announced this week that the striker would leave Old Trafford.

    CEO Richard Arnold said in an open letter to supporters: “While we were unable to access certain evidence for reasons we respect, the evidence we did collate led us to conclude that Mason did not commit the acts he was charged with.”

    Greenwood said: “I did not do the things I was accused of, and in February I was cleared of all charges” [which is not correct, given the charges were dropped after witnesses stopped co-operating with police].

    Greenwood’s contract with United runs until June 2025, but he’ll now need to find a new club. However, given the club faced immense backlash over suggestions Greenwood could return to their first team – forcing them to backtrack – other clubs will be wary of signing the youngster who managed 35 goals in 129 senior appearances for the Red Devils.

    Mason Greenwood in January 2022, his final game for United.Source: AFP

    According to The Sun, Saudi Arabian side Al-Ettifaq were ‘considering’ an offer worth up to £10 million-a-year. But the club’s manager, Liverpool legend Steven Gerrard, branded that ‘fake news’ on social media.

    Nevertheless, another of Saudi Arabia’s cashed-up clubs could make an offer given their remarkable spending spree this window.

    The Sun also claimed former United manager Jose Mourinho is interested in signing him for Italian side AS Roma after an injury to Tammy Abraham left them short of attacking options. But their interest was quickly refuted by Italian media.

    Another report has stated Juventus and AC Milan could be tempted into a move (Juve on a loan deal). AS Monaco in France is also looking for attacking reinforcements and could be a potential landing spot.

    A report by the Mail claims Turkish sides Galatasaray and Istanbul Basaksehir are also interested, with another report stating Fenerbache could also be in the mix, while the newspaper also states that two unidentified Championship clubs (England’s second tier) withdrew their interest after preliminary talks with the player.

    At this stage, it appears unlikely Greenwood would remain in England given the extremely negative public opinion towards the player.

    But Manchester United has not terminated his contract and it is unclear whether they would let him go for free, seek a transfer fee for his exit, or potentially angle for a loan move.

    ‘It’s not going to change the game’ | 01:02

    Mohammed Kudus [UPDATED]

    Ghana international Kudus is a superstar at Dutch giants Ajax, and they’re desperate to keep hold of a player who has already picked up a goal and an assist in their first two games of this season.

    But the 23-year-old attacking midfielder/winger is in hot demand in the Premier League. Brighton were interested earlier in the window, and even agreed a deal in principal for a reported £34.5 million. But the deal fell through – and the Dutch club has pumped up their asking price amid interest from Arsenal, Chelsea and West Ham.

    West Ham have seen two bids for the player rejected in the last week, most recently a reported £36m offer. Ajax value the player at a reported £44m or £47m according to differing reports, but West Ham are reportedly unwilling to go above £41m.

    The Ghanaian and 2022 World Cup star topped Ajax’s scoring last season with 18 goals in 42 games (all competitions).

    After West Ham missed out on Rennes winger Jérémy Doku, who moved to Manchester City for £55.5m, they will be pushing hard to bolster David Moyes’ squad.

    UPDATE: According to multiple reports, a deal is now on the brink of being agreed. The Athletic claims the initial fee will be worth €41.5m, with an additional €3m in add-ons. Ajax will also receive 10 per-cent of any fee should West Ham sell the player on.

    Mohammed Kudus has already bagged a goal this season.Source: AFP

    Folarin Balogun

    The young American attacker is on Arsenal’s books for now, but is unlikely to remain there by the end of the transfer window. The 22-year-old impressed on loan to French club Reims last season with 21 league goals in 37 games and has become a target for some of Europe’s biggest clubs, but has been left out of Arsenal’s squad for the first two games of the new season.

    Misfiring Chelsea are reportedly interested in a bid to cure their lack of goalscoring bite, and the Evening Standard reports the Gunners’ forward is open to moving to their cross-London rivals. But Arsenal would seek a significantly higher £50m fee from a cashed-up Premier League rival than an overseas club.

    Injuries to Chelsea attackers Carney Chukwuemeka and Christopher Nkunku has left the club desperate for late signings, but the Daily Mirror says a compromise of around £40m could be reached.

    A return to France in the form of Monaco had appeared the strongest possibility before Chelsea’s injury crisis forced them back into the market.

    Monaco had a £34 million bid rejected for Balogun but remain in deep talks with Arsenal.

    Fulham is also mulling a bid to replace star striker Aleksandar Mitrovic who joined Al-Hilal, but would struggle to contend with Chelsea should there be a bidding war.

    Dean Henderson

    It’s all action at Manchester United’s goalkeeper section right now. First they backflipped on a new deal for David de Gea, who remains without a club after a big-money move to Saudi Arabia fell through. According to reports, Bayern Munich appears a possible destination.

    Now Dean Henderson is expected to depart after the £43.8m (plus add-ons) arrival of Andre Onana, who has taken the no. 1 role for the Red Devils. Crystal Palace lead the race ahead of Nottingham Forest, according to transfer guru Fabrizio Romano.

    His pending exit has United looking for a new back-up gloveman – especially with their other back-up, Tom Heaton, battling a calf complaint.

    Manchester United goalkeeper #24 Andre Onana could have some new competition soon.Source: AFP

    United are in talks with Turkey goalkeeper Altay Bayindir of Fenerbahce, with a Turkish report claiming the club has offered £6 million for a player who has been given permission by his club to seek an exit.

    It’s not the only back-up keeper United has been linked to, with 20-year-old Japanese keeper Zion Suzuki rejecting a £5m transfer earlier this window to focus on playing time with the Urawa Reds ahead of next year’s Olympics.

    Greece international Odysseas Vlachodimos of Benfica is also a reported United target. Vlachodimos has been left out of the Portuguese side’s squad in recent weeks with an exit highly likely after the club signed a new number one.

    Source link

  • Manchester United could receive cash windfall from Luton despite vetoing Tom Heaton deal

    Manchester United could receive cash windfall from Luton despite vetoing Tom Heaton deal

    Manchester United could see their summer transfer budget increased by Luton due to a decision they made a year ago.

    The Red Devils may have vetoed a move for Tom Heaton to Kenilworth Road this summer but that might not stop Hatters’ money ending up at Old Trafford.

    3

    Heaton was prevented from joining Luton earlier this summerCredit: Getty

    The Premier League giants offloaded Tahith Chong to Birmingham City on a permanent deal last summer after making three pre-season appearances under boss Erik ten Hag.

    Birmingham paid £1.45million to secure Chong’s services, beating West Brom to the line after they enquired about taking the player on loan.

    A sell-on clause was inserted into the agreement for Chong, who was entering the final year of his contract at Old Trafford.

    And with a move to Luton in the pipeline, United are set to receive 25 per cent of any fee, according to the Manchester Evening News.

    Sir Alex denied Beckham chat after Barcelona deal agreed but 
let Real Madrid move happen
    Manchester United preparing second bid for Hojlund after Atalanta rejection

    Premier League new boys Luton have identified Chong to help bolster their squad ahead of their top-flight return.

    Chong was on target four times for the Blues last season whilst adding five assists as they steered clear of relegation.

    Birmingham will hope to make profit on Chong but any fee will have to take United’s sell-on clause into consideration.

    It means Luton could inadvertently supply Ten Hag with extra transfer funds despite being rebuffed in their efforts to sign United’s 37-year-old goalkeeper Heaton last week.

    Chong left Man United for Birmingham last summer

    3

    Chong left Man United for Birmingham last summer
    Ten Hag could be set to reap the financial rewards of Chong's departure

    3

    Ten Hag could be set to reap the financial rewards of Chong’s departureCredit: Getty

    Any potential cash injection for Manchester United will almost-certainly strengthen their plans to continue using the sell-on clause method in future transfers for their up-and-coming youngsters.

    United sold promising star Zidane Iqbal to Dutch club FC Utrecht for around £850,000 whilst inserting a 40 percent sell-on clause.

    And they will hope they can profit again next summer.



    Source link

  • Everton in talks with Manchester United star – Reports

    Everton in talks with Manchester United star – Reports

    Everton have reportedly held conversations with Manchester United’s back-up goalkeeper Tom Heaton.

    According to Football Insider, the Toffees are among multiple clubs linked with making a move to sign Heaton this summer. Luton Town, who secured promotion from the Championship ahead of the 2023-24 Premier League season, are also keen to sign the veteran goalkeeper.

    However, the report adds that Manchester United are not considering Heaton’s exit amid uncertainty over the goalkeeper position. David de Gea’s contract expired on Friday (June 30). United released a squad update on the same day in which they said that discussions with De Gea over a new deal were ongoing.

    The Spaniard’s unresolved contract situation has seemingly left Heaton’s future at Old Trafford in doubt. The Englishman, 37, still has a year left on the contract he signed in the summer of 2021 and has made only three appearances in his two seasons with the Red Devils.

    The aforementioned report adds that Everton’s pursuit of Heaton comes after second-choice goalkeeper Asmir Begovic’s contract came to an end. Jordan Pickford remains the No. 1 for now and is contracted to the Toffees till 2027, but he has been linked to a few clubs in previous transfer windows.

    Luton, meanwhile, are looking to make Heaton their No. 1. The Hatters are said to want experience in their first season back in the Premier League. Ethan Horvath was their starting goalkeeper last season and kept 19 clean sheets in 44 Championship games, conceding only 37 times. However, the 25-year-old has returned to Nottingham Forest following the end of his season-long loan spell.

    Heaton, meanwhile, has played 116 Premier League games for Burnley and Aston Villa, keeping 29 clean sheets and conceding 167 goals.


    Manchester United hold talks with Andre Onana amid David de Gea uncertainty

    Tom Heaton’s future at Old Trafford could hinge on the club’s conversations with Inter Milan goalkeeper Andre Onana.

    Inter’s chief executive officer Giuseppe Marotta recently confirmed that the Nerazzurri are waiting to receive a proposal from Manchester United for Onana. Marotta said (as quoted by transfer expert Fabrizio Romano on Twitter):

    “Manchester United confirmed to us that they’re interested in Andr eOnana. We are waiting for an official proposal in the next days, then we will decide how to react right after.”

    Inter CEO Marotta: “Manchester United confirmed to us that they’re interested in André Onana”. 🚨🔴 #MUFC“We are waiting for an official proposal in the next days, then we will decide how to react right after”. https://t.co/AxxzA7gIb8

    If Manchester United sign Onana, he’s likely to become their starting goalkeeper, which could see David de Gea leave.

    That could, in turn, have ramifications for Tom Heaton‘s future, as Erik ten Hag may continue to bank on his experience and keep him as a backup goalkeeper. Alternately, the Red Devils could sell Heaton and sign a younger custodian to be Onana’s understudy.

    Quick Links

    More from Sportskeeda




    Source link