More

    ‘Probably’: Ronaldo’s telling hint on future … as Ange opens up on surprise snub

    Just days after Lionel Messi made an emotional retirement revelation, fellow legend Cristiano Ronaldo has dropped the strongest hint yet that a second footballing icon’s career is coming to an end.

    The legendary is entering the final year of an enormous $677 million deal with the Saudi club, who signed Australian Ange Postecoglou as manager ahead of the 2026/27 season.

    But after watching from the sidelines as the team began their Pro League title defence with a 3-0 win over Al Fateh, the 41-year old told Vogue magazine that it would be “probably my last year of football”.

    Watch the biggest Aussie sports & the best from overseas LIVE on Kayo Sports | New to Kayo? Join now and get your first month for just $1.

    “I want to leave a spectacular legacy,” he said.

    “I have so many things to keep me busy that to tell you just one thing is hard. Because football could leave a big hole, you have to fill your time in various ways, not just one.”

    Ronaldo married long-time partner Georgina Rodriguez last week, with Postecoglou paying tribute to the Portuguese great upon his return to Al Nassr training in a video that quickly went viral.

    At his record sixth and final World Cup, he led Portugal to the round of 16, but was unable to inspire them to an upset win over eventual champions Spain.

    Having already confirmed the tournament would be his last, Ronaldo’s exit from club football as well now appears imminent.

    The revelation comes just days after Messi admitted his footballing future his also clouded, following the death of father Jorge.

    In an Instagram post, the 39-year old said he had “serious doubts” about continuing to play.

    “I don’t know what I’ll do without you, I don’t know how to go on,” he wrote.

    Ronaldo was among the legions to send messages of support to the Messi family, writing in response: A huge hug to you and yours in these tough times, Leo. Much strength.”

    Speaking after Al Nassr’s win in his first competitive match at the helm, Postecoglou wouldn’t comment on the decision to leave Ronaldo out of the team.

    It has been reported that the decision was made out of a desire to rest Ronaldo and ensure his fitness for the campaign ahead, having only rejoined the team in the days leading into the season opener.

    Cristiano Ronaldo, wife Georgina Rodriguez and their children watch Al-Nassr’s win over Al-Fateh. (Photo by AFP)Source: AFP

    However, he all but confirmed he will return for their match against Diriyah in the King’s Cup on Wednesday morning (AEST).

    “Cristiano is here today, and he is always present with us,” the Australian said.

    “The most important thing now is recovery, especially as we have only two days after this match, and afterwards we will determine the decision on the players’ participation according to their readiness.

    “As I said before the match, we have a strong team, and there are important players who did not take part today.

    “But what matters to me is that all the players who did take part, whether they started the match or came on during it, delivered a wonderful performance.”

    Source link

    Related articles

    Comments

    LEAVE A REPLY

    Please enter your comment!
    Please enter your name here

    Share article

    Latest articles

    Newsletter

    Subscribe to stay updated.