The NBA has pushed back strongly on a bombshell report surrounding its investigation into Kawhi Leonard and the Los Angeles Clippers, declaring there are “numerous and significant inaccuracies” in claims about where the 11-month probe currently stands.
ESPN reported on Monday, citing sources with knowledge of recent discussions between the league and Clippers, that investigators have presented no evidence showing owner Steve Ballmer funnelled money through team sponsors to Leonard in an attempt to circumvent the NBA salary cap.
Watch the biggest Aussie sports & the best from overseas LIVE on Kayo Sports | New to Kayo? Join now and get your first month for just $1.
But crucially, the NBA has not confirmed those reported findings.
Instead, NBA spokesman Mike Bass issued a statement disputing ESPN’s account and stressed the league’s official findings will only be known when the investigation is complete.
“ESPN’s article regarding the LA Clippers investigation – for which the NBA declined to cooperate – contains numerous and significant inaccuracies,” Bass said.
“The results in this matter will be made clear once the investigation is concluded.”
It leaves significant uncertainty surrounding exactly what the league has uncovered as it continues investigating allegations involving Leonard, Ballmer and several companies with business relationships with the Clippers.
According to ESPN’s sources, however, the investigation has shifted towards the Clippers’ role in introducing Leonard and his representatives to team sponsors rather than evidence of Ballmer directly funnelling money to the six-time All-Star.
ESPN reported the NBA is examining whether those introductions could constitute a violation of its rules prohibiting salary-cap circumvention, as well as whether the Clippers could be guilty of a “failure to supervise” employees.
The report added it remains unclear what specific rule would have been violated under the latter scenario or what potential punishment could follow.
The investigation initially centred around Leonard’s $28 million endorsement agreement with now-bankrupt green banking company Aspiration.
The allegations emerged in September 2025 when podcaster Pablo Torre reported internal documents showed Ballmer invested $50 million in Aspiration in September 2021 – the same month the Clippers agreed to a $300 million partnership with the company.
Aspiration then signed Leonard to the $28 million endorsement agreement in April 2022, with a former employee alleging the deal was designed to circumvent the salary cap. Ballmer later invested another $10 million in the company.
Ballmer and the Clippers have consistently denied wrongdoing.
According to ESPN, the NBA’s investigation subsequently expanded beyond Aspiration to include at least three other companies that had business relationships with the Clippers.
That included Daktronics, which designed the enormous videoboard inside the Intuit Dome, and Boingo Wireless, which also has a relationship with the Clippers’ home arena.
ESPN reported sources familiar with the inquiry said no evidence had been presented showing Ballmer funnelled money through those companies to Leonard either.
The Clippers have acknowledged introducing Leonard and other players to companies with which the franchise had business relationships, but maintain that practice is commonplace throughout the NBA.
“Making introductions between players and team partners is both an ordinary practice by NBA teams and a common request of players and representatives,” the Clippers said.
The franchise also said it did not “negotiate or dictate” the terms of Leonard’s endorsement agreements.
“The fact that a player has an endorsement relationship with a company that also does business with his team is not evidence of salary-cap circumvention,” the statement read.
ESPN reported that introductions between sponsors and players are common around the NBA, while league material from the 2024-25 season encouraged teams in certain circumstances to facilitate dialogue between players and corporate partners.
However, the NBA’s operations manual from the 2021-22 season stated teams could not recommend players to sponsors as candidates for endorsement agreements, although they were permitted to provide a player or agent’s contact information when approached by a business partner.
According to ESPN, the NBA presented its initial findings to the Clippers in late July and the two sides have since been negotiating a potential resolution, with discussions described by one source as “spirited”.
Ballmer is reportedly unwilling to accept any finding that he or the Clippers intentionally circumvented the salary cap and is prepared to take the matter to arbitration if necessary.
The players’ union could also become involved in any dispute, with sources familiar with the NBPA’s thinking questioning whether an argument based around sponsor introductions would withstand arbitration.
The outcome remains particularly significant for Leonard and his proposed blockbuster return to Toronto.
The Clippers agreed in June to trade the two-time NBA champion to the Raptors in exchange for Brandon Ingram, Gradey Dick and draft picks, but the deal remains on hold amid uncertainty surrounding any potential penalties stemming from the investigation.
ESPN reported Leonard and Toronto are nevertheless operating under the expectation the trade will eventually be completed, while there has been no indication from his discussions with the players’ union that his contract will be voided.
Leonard has also maintained to the NBPA, NBA and the law firm conducting the investigation that he had no involvement in salary-cap circumvention.
For now, ESPN’s reporting paints an increasingly encouraging picture for Ballmer, Leonard and the Clippers.
The NBA, however, is warning against drawing that conclusion just yet.
Commissioner Adam Silver has previously stressed the league must prove wrongdoing rather than act on the “mere appearance of impropriety” and has indicated he wants the investigation resolved before the beginning of the 2026-27 regular season.