More

    Socceroos star joins powerhouse in $33m record move as Aussie European assault continues

    Socceroos defender Alessandro Circati has completed his move to Portuguese giants Benfica with the 22-year-old officially unveiled by the club on Thursday morning.

    Ciracti joins Benfica – after a standout World Cup campaign and five years in Italy with Serie A club Parma – for a reported fee of $30 million plus $3 million in performance-related add-ons.

    Get all the latest football news, highlights and analysis delivered straight to your inbox with Fox Sports Sportmail. Sign up now!!!

    The $33 million total draws Ciracti’s transfer fee level with the Australian transfer record sum that freshly promoted English Premier League outfit Hull City paid for his fellow Socceroos centre back, 18-year-old Lucas Herrington.

    “I’m really excited to play here,” Ciracti, who has signed a contract until 2031, told Portuguese television network BTV.

    “It’s a huge honour, a privilege. I’m over the moon, I couldn’t be happier. I think it’s a reward for many years of hard work. I’m so happy to be here, and I can’t wait to play for Benfica.”

    Ciracti’s move to the Primeira Liga means Australia will have a star on either side of the fierce Lisbon derby with Nestory Irankunda joining Sporting CP earlier this month.

    Benfica, who are Portugal’s most decorated club having won 88 trophies in their existence, have started their league campaign with a win and a draw, thrashing Casa Pia 7-0 earlier this week.

    The carrot of European football is also dangling in front of them as they host Danish outfit AGF at the near 70,000 capacity Estadio da Luz in the first leg of a playoff to qualify for the Europa League on Friday morning Australian time.

    “I just took a look at it (the stadium) a moment ago. It’s incredible, and I’m very excited to play here,” Circati said.

    Benfica were unbeaten last season under legendary manager Jose Mourinho, but they finished third in the league behind Porto and Sporting.

    Mourinho has since departed for a return to Real Madrid with ex-Fulham boss Marco Silva now in charge.

    Silva said in a recent interview of his new signing, who has already captained his country and was vice-captain at Parma: “Circati has leadership, maturity and the qualities we were looking for in that position.”

    READ MORE

    Inside Aussie star’s $32m move to ‘legendary’ club that made Ronaldo… and his wild reveal

    Aussie ‘Rolls Royce’ just landed a massive PL move. It might only be the start for the teen ‘phenom’

    ‘Here to stay!’: Ange’s unbeaten Saudi start continues … with Ronaldo still waiting

    Another of Circati’s Socceroos teammates is on the move with Nishan Vellupillay leaving Melbourne Victory to join German third tier club FC Ingolstadt.

    The 25-year-old, who started against the USA at the World Cup, signed for an undisclosed fee.

    “I’m really looking forward to the new challenge in Germany and at FC Ingolstadt 04,” he said. “After my years at Melbourne Victory, the time was right for me to take the next step.

    “I’ve heard many good things about the club and want to help the team with my playing style and experience. I can’t wait to get started in Ingolstadt.”

    United States’ Weston McKennie, left, vies for the ball with Australia’s Nishan Velupillay during the World Cup Group D soccer match between the United States and Australia in Seattle, Friday, June 19, 2026. (AP Photo/Lindsey Wasson)Source: AP

    Source link

    Related articles

    Comments

    LEAVE A REPLY

    Please enter your comment!
    Please enter your name here

    Share article

    Latest articles

    Newsletter

    Subscribe to stay updated.