Arsenal are set to make a bid for Aston Villa star Ezri Konsa, having agreed personal terms, with the centre-back now viewed as their top transfer target.
The Gunners had the best defensive record in the Premier League last season, conceding just 27 goals, and they kept a clean sheet in the emphatic 3-0 Community Shield victory against Manchester City on Sunday.
However, considering Mikel Arteta will be looking to compete on all fronts again next season, and Ben White‘s future in north London remains in doubt, additional depth will be required, and Konsa could be a fantastic option.
Much like White, the Villa defender is capable of playing both in the middle and on the right side of the defence, and he has built up a wealth of Premier League experience, making 231 appearances in the competition during his time with Unai Emery’s side.
The 28-year-old was one of Emery’s most important players last season, featuring for 3,036 minutes in the top flight, which was the second-highest number in the squad, and he showcased his ability in possession by averaging 59.4 accurate passes per 90.
|
Ranking |
Arsenal’s top passers (Premier League 2025-26) |
Accurate passes per 90 |
|
1. |
William Saliba |
67.3 |
|
2. |
Declan Rice |
54.2 |
|
3. |
Cristhian Mosquera |
52.6 |
|
4. |
Martin Zubimendi |
50.5 |
|
5. |
Gabriel |
50.0 |
Journalist Dan Bardell has lauded the England international as “sensational”, and there has now been a further update on the north Londoners’ pursuit, after it was revealed that a deal was close to completion last week.
Arsenal set to make offer for Ezri Konsa
According to a report from Football Insider, Arsenal are now preparing a new offer for Konsa, which is worth £40m, with the defender considered one of their top targets ahead of the September 1st deadline.
The Gunners have already agreed personal terms with the Villa star, but they are yet to agree a fee with his current club, which is seemingly the last remaining obstacle.
Emery is reluctant to lose the former Brentford man though, as he has become one of his most important players, which means Villa are set to hold out for a fee of £60m.
What Mikel Arteta has said about Arsenal’s transfer plans
After the resounding victory against Man City in the Community Shield, Arteta was asked whether strengthening the defence is now his priority, having secured Bruno Guimaraes’ signature, and the Spaniard said: “We know there are certain areas that through injuries we are weaker and we need to strengthen.
“We’re trying to do that and we’ve been trying to do that for weeks. Only when the opportunity is right for the club will we do it.”